Friday, March 22, 2013

Red Rose Macaron (Picture Instruction Included)

March 15



I am excited to say that these macaroons came out so perfectly! Of course that is after 3 times of brutal failure, but not to worry, I will be very specific on how I conquer this delicate little dessert!

I personally don't really like macaroon, because it's too sweet for me, and when you see the ingredient list, you will know it's mostly made up with icing sugar, sugar and egg whites. Still a lot of girls are crazy about them, it's delicate, fancy and colorful sometimes. It is also described as crunchy on the outside, and chewy on the inside. Hmm! Even though I've never had macaroons before, I am intrigued to make them because it looks pretty.

The first time I look up macaroon recipes, and saw the ingredient list and the instructions, I was like, phtt, how hard can this be, and soon realize how foolish I was. The first batch came out flat and burned.

I did not give up , the second time, I read the instruction over and over until I could almost memorize it (It's a good way to get yourself familiarize with a recipe) and thought this time it cannot go wrong....this time I felt defeated because I did everything right, but I did not add the environment factor and time.

The third time, I went on Youtube and searched for a video demonstration for macaroon, and tried it, it was half way success because the macaroons came out with cracks....but at least from each failure, I learned something, I improved each time.

How I think it's the best way to master macaroon or any baking desserts is that get really familiar with the recipe you are using, read it over and over until you could imagine yourself doing each steps, watch a video demonstration on the techniques  because for every dessert, there will be some special techniques to it, if you are not using the right skills to beat the egg, it will never come out successful no matter how many times you tried it. After that, tried doing the recipe, if it did not came out as you thought , Google the problem, it would've been the temperature, humidity, etc.

Sorry if I talk too much in this post because I've learned my lesson on underestimating this dessert.

Ingredients 


Ground Almond                 1/2 cup+2 tbsp
Icing sugar                         1cup
Tea of your choice             1tsp
Egg Whites                         2
Sugar                                 5tbsp

Pipping bag (or a large freezer bag)
Spatula

*NOTE: for this recipe, I did not use any coloring, so the macarons came out in their natural color, but the tea flavour was very noticeable too. 

Instruction 


1: Beat the egg whites on low until you see rough bubbles in pic2, add the first 1/3 sugar
2:Continue to beat on low for 20 seconds add the second 1/3 sugar
3: Change to medium speed and continue to beat 20 seconds, add rest of the sugar and turn up to high speed
4: Continue to beat for 20 seconds and change back to medium speed and beat till stiff peak (shown in picture 5)
5: Mix the ground almond, icing sugar and tea leaves well
6:Gradually mix the dry ingredients with the beaten egg whites
7: Use a spatula to mix from bottom up to let out some of the air in the egg white, until the mixture will slowly drip off the spatula like 8 (this is where the video demonstration comes in. you can check when's the perfect time to stop)
8: Put the mixture into a large pipping bag or a freezer bag, cut a little hole at the end before piping
9: Pipe small circles of macaroon mixture on a parchment paper
10: Tap on the counter to let out any air inside the mixture
11: Put it somewhere away from sink or humidity and dry for 15-30 mins 
12: Preheat oven 300F 
13: When you touch the surface, macaroons won't stick on your hand, that means the macaroons have formed a shell and it's ready to be baked. (if you found some of it are still moist, use a hair dryer and dry them manually, that is what I did with mine. ) 
14: Bake about 7-10 mins at about 5 mins, you will see the feet starts to form (the lace around the bottom) 

When the macaroon first came out the oven, how cute is that! some at the back have pointy top because I squeeze in little more at the end, which DON'T DO THAT! 




Spread your favorite jam or add frosting of your choice. I did not made frosting this time because I was lazy.  Next time when I make a cake, I will be sure to post my favorite frosting recipe~ 
-Enjoy-



No comments:

Post a Comment